Experience Level: Intermediate to Advanced PHP
In this guide – published Sept. 18, 2018 – Ashley Rich of Delicious Brains takes a deep dive into the three of the most common encryption methods available in modern PHP today.
- Broad coverage of three common types of encryption: hashing, secret key encryption (via Libsodium), and envelope encryption (via Cloud KMS)
- In-depth analysis for each type of encryption along with code examples showing how they are best used
Ashley does a good job of covering three of the more common types of encryption. The post is rich with recommendations for best practices, which makes it a valuable resource worth bookmarking and referring back to later as needed. Code examples were clear and useful, a great combination in a reference guide like this.
- password_hash() function reference on php.net
- Libsodium (for secret key encryption)
- Google Cloud Key Management Service (Cloud KMS)